Thursday 11 September 2008

A Quick Lunchtime Dash, 8th September

At lunchtime today I nipped to my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss to check if any of the food had gone down. It didn't appear that much had been taken, but nevertheless I put some more seed out and I will return again to check in about 4 days time.

I didn't have much time to have a look round but a calling Jay and singing Blackcap from the nearby wood got my attention. Another Marsh Harrier gave excellent views, and I say 'other' because this was a juv. It was hunting over some set-aside land before then flying low over a large wheat field and straight past me. Awesome!

There was a small flood on the field next to the feeding station, where isn't there a small flood at the moment, and 2 mature male Southern Hawkers were battling for supremacy of the pool. Well that's what it looked like to me!

I didn't manage to see anything else during my short visit other than Buzzard, Kestrel and 3 Grey Partridges.


Corn Bunting - hopefully a few will find our food this winter

No comments: