Tuesday 21 October 2008

Birding Over the Border, 16th October

I had a meeting today at Lake Vyrnwy in Wales just on the eastern edge of Snowdonia. The site is a jointly run nature reserve run by the RSPB and Severn Trent Water. On my way to the meeting I had a couple of Ravens over the A5 almost as soon as I crossed the Welsh Border. I didn't know at the time that this was as good as it was going to get! I arrived early for my meeting and had an hour to spare so I asked an RSPB volunteer who was repairing some feeders in front of a feeding station hide what would be the best thing to do birding-wise in an hour. He recommended a woodland walk that would take about an hour so I took his advice and set-off and saw nothing!

Well, I say nothing bit I did see a number of common woodland species. I looked hard through the Tit flocks trying to find a double wing barred Phyllosc from Siberia but to no avail. In fact the only bird I have recorded in my notebook was a single Kestrel! Anyway it was nice to have a walk before several hours in a meeting.

On the way home I recorded a couple more Ravens from the road. I have included below a picture of the area; the scenery is very nice and the lake is spectacular.

No comments: