Sunday 5 October 2008

Tree Sparrow Numbers Increase, 5th October 2008

The number of Tree Sparrows coming to my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss have now increased to at least 65 and these numbers mean it is now worth a ringing session there. Of course the weather has first got to be right and for this site it needs to be virtually calm! Not a big ask then on an open farmland site!

It was probably the best day of the week this morning and I was a bit annoyed with myself for not getting up earlier and going to the coast first. I made myself one of those promises that I have made a thousand times which is "from tomorrow I am going to get up early every available day to go birding". We'll see! When you factor in real ale and rock music I can't help but think that I am going to break that promise a few more times yet!

A few raptors were around this morning with 3 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel. One of the Buzzards gave cracking views as it flew from a birch tree close by. Talking of raptors, well owls really, I have included a couple of pictures below of Northern Saw-whet Owl and Eastern Screech-Owl in the hand in Canada sent to me by my good mate Nigel. Have a look at these and then we'll get back to Rawcliffe Moss!

Northern Saw-whet Owl

Eastern Screech-Owl (I think!)

Aren't they cracking pics? I digress and dream of North American birds. It looked as though Lapwings and Golden Plovers were on the move this morning as I had 64 Lapwings go over and a couple of Golden Plovers. Pink-footed Geese were on the move in small numbers with 3 skeins totalling 105 birds.

There was also some vis mig with 35 Meadow Pipits south, smaller numbers of Chaffinch and Pied Wagtail, and a single Lesser Redpoll. There were good numbers of Skylarks around as well, with a total of 88 birds, but none of them were obviously moving. They were moving around the farm in small flocks and feeding in areas of stubble.

A few Swallows, 10, moved south and the only other birds of vague interest were 3 Song Thrush and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. The great thing about birding is that you always look forward to tomorrow and everything is re-set!

No comments: