Sunday 23 November 2008

Northern Invaders, 23rd November 2008

I paid a very quick visit to my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss this morning on the way to taking one of my lads back to uni in Leeds. The weather was attrocious but it was obvious that over night there had been an arrival of Thrushes, particularly Blackbirds. Later on last night it calmed and cleared, and Redwings were on the move. At first the calmness took me by surprise and I had a few hopes that I would get out ringing, but a quick check of the forecast put paid to any such thoughts.

Anyhow, as I drove down the track this morning in the rain I was pushing Blackbirds out all the time. And as I walked down the feeding track towards the feeding station I was again pushing Blackbirds, Redwings and Fieldfares out of the hedge. I estimated that there were 50 Blackbirds, 30 Fieldfares and 20 Redwings. Tree Sparrow numbers remained high at 250.

No comments: