Saturday 31 January 2009

Bits And Bobs, 31st January 2009

I have been out recently but I haven't seen anything very exciting to report on any one day or at any one site. I had a site visit with work at Newton Marsh and had 4 Little Egrets and 'a lot' of Wigeon which were both additions to my year list.

Every day I am treated to some fantastic views of common woodland birds feeding on my office window feeders. The best of these or the most interesting to watch is the regular flock of 9 Long-tailed Tits that descend on to the peanut feeder. They are not bothered at all that I am working away on my laptop only 2 feet away from them.

As I reported earlier Grey Partridges are now pairing up at Moss House Farm and on the 29th I had 4 pairs and interestingly today at Sowerby I had 2 pairs. Tree Sparrows remain in good numbers and today at the feeding station I had 147.

Before I went to feed on Rawcliffe Moss I called in at a clients farm at Sowerby and had a look on the floods. The only wildfowl of note were 2 Pintails and 16 Teal, and 13 Fieldfare fed in the adjacent pasture.

Continuing with the Yank fest., below is a Black-throated Green Warbler that I took at Tommy Thompson Bird Research Station in Toronto in 2005.

Year list = 76

No comments: