Sunday 15 March 2009

Mipit Passage

You might be surprised to know that even after my rant earlier I still went birding this morning to Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park. The difference being that I was there at 6.30 a.m when the site is locked up and the dog walkers can't get in!

Straight away I noticed that there was some Mipit passage but not as heavy as at Rossall School later on. The wind had dropped overnight and at first light it was only about 10 mph westerly. In addition to the Mipits I had a few Alba wags going over as well, but unfortunately no Smarties.

On the pools I had female Goldeneye, 46 Coot, 6 Little Grebes, a pair of Ruddy Ducks, 3 Great Crested Grebes, 11 Tufted Ducks and female Gadwall.

I then moved to the coast and went to Rossall School. One of the first birds I had was a male Stonechat by the all weather pitches and later I had two stonking males along one of the hedges. I had a go at digiscoping the Stonechats and the best of my pathetic efforts is below.

It was obvious that the passage of Mipits was heavier here and I had 130 north as well as 6 Goldfinch, a surprising Great Spot, 12 Alba Wags, 9 Linnets, 5 Curlew and a single Siskin.

I had a quick look on the sea but it was dead other than 2 male Eiders. Walking back towards the car I had cracking views of a Goldcrest flycatching midges from the south side of a hedge.

No comments: