Monday 3 May 2010

Rubbish Northerlies

When I looked at the forecast last night I could almost have predicted that the above would be the title of my blog today. So why go out birding if you knew it was going to be crap I hear you ask? One thing that most birders are is eternal optimists and even though I knew it would probably be slow this morning there is always the hope that as it is Spring, something interesting might have pushed through against the northerlies. Anyway, how crap was it?

I wasn't out too early this morning and didn't get to Rossall School until just after 6.00 a.m. It was very cold, well for May it was, and I had to don hat and gloves. Almost the first birds I had were three Swifts 'dashing' north and these would be the only Swifts of the morning. This also reminded me that I have two Swift nest boxes that I haven't put up yet!

Since I was last at the 'obs' it was obvious that a few more Whitethroats had arrived and I had 5 singing males this morning. Talking of singing males I also had two singing Sedge Warblers in the reedbed and it was fantastic watching them doing their song flight in the strong morning light.

Vis was virtually non-existent and all I had in addition to the Swifts were 8 Swallows north, 2 Linnets, 3 Meadow Pipits and a single Tree Pipit. Two Wheatears hung around the 'old' bonfire and that was it for grounded migrants. I had a look on the sea and it was quiet other than 8 Eiders and 15 Gannets. There were two Atlantic Grey Seals and one is pictured badly below!

A record record shot of Grey Seal!

Walking behind the sea wall towards the reedbed I had some Thrift in flower that added a bit of colour to the embankment, but not much else. As I headed back along the 'western' hedge a Sparrowhawk shot through causing everything to alarm call and that was it for my walk round the 'obs'.

Thrift

More Thrift!

I thought I would have a quick look in the cemetery; I don't know why as it had been so quiet at the 'obs'! It must have been that eternal optimism I talked about. The cemetery was deathly quiet (no pun intended) and all I had of semi-note was a singing Whitethroat. I decided not to prolong the agony and headed home early to 'bag' some brownie points for another day!

3 comments:

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Thanks Seumus for vindicating my decision not to do Zilch Alley this morning...woulda been a cold blank morning!

Cheers

Dave

The Hairy Birder said...

I wish I'd made the same decision Dave!

Cheers,

Seumus

俊琴 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.