Saturday 17 July 2010

Lost And Found

I got a phone call from Ian last night to say that he had found 'our' two missing Ringed Plover chicks. They were with another adult on the other side of the groyne from where we ringed the two Thursday evening. So they hadn't been predated and they had managed to hatch 4 out of 4. More of that later.

I rolled out of my 'pit' again at 4.00 a.m. and headed off to Rossall Point. By 4.45 a.m. I was seawatching behind the Coastguards Tower and the wind direction was better being west-southwesterly, but it had dropped . In fact it was one of those in between mornings where it is too windy to ring and not really blowy enough for a good seawatch.

There were plenty of returning waders on the beach this morning including 77 Dunlin, 2 Turnstone (both in summer plumage; stonking!), 31 Oystercatchers, 8 Curlews, 131 sanderling and a Redshank.

Out on the sea it was quiet even though the visibility was good. I had 28 Common Scoters and a male Eider, and all there was moving was a single Manxie and 2 Gannets. I heard a Sandwich Tern, but didn't see it, and my best bird was a 1st winter Little Gull that flew along the tide line.

I called in at the Nature Park on my way home and it was quiet here too. I am not going to pad it out but just tell you that I had 10 Little Grebes, 2 Whitethroats, 17 Mallards, 15 Coots, 2 Reed Warblers, 4 Linnets and 10 Tufted Ducks.

Reed Warbler

Just before lunch Gail and I bobbed back to Rossall Point to meet Ian and try and locate the 2 unringed Ringed Plover chicks. Within no time at all we found one of the adults brooding the 4 young and before you could say "Robert's your Mother's brother" they were ringed.

Ringed Plover chicks

Back at home the post had arrived and there were a couple of recoveries from the BTO. One was a local Blackbird that hadn't moved, but there was a Pied Flycatcher (see below) that had been lifted off the nest at Barnacre on 9.5.09 and controlled at Whitney Court, Hereford & Worcester on 17.5.10.


The forecast looks grim for tomorrow so I might treat myself to a rare lie in!

2 comments:

Pete Marsh said...

Hello Seamus
Please could you give me the details of the Pied Fly as I'm just completing the county ringing report & do the recoveries on a July-July basis

Thanks

Pete

The Hairy Birder said...

I've sent you the Pied Fly details by email Pete.

Cheers,

Seumus