Tuesday 21 September 2010

They're Back

In fact they haven't really ever gone away at all as they do breed on Rawcliffe Moss in some of my boxes. The 'they' I am referring to is of course Tree Sparrows and today when I went to feed at my feeding station the numbers had already built up to 57. Excellent!

 Tree Sparrow - above and below. You'll need to squint!



It was very warm this morning as I had an hours walk on the moss before heading off to Bowland to do some work. It was obvious straight away that there was some 'vis' as Meadow Pipits and Chaffinches were on the move as soon as I got out of the car. As I headed down the track a Corn Bunting flew over and a number of Carrion Crows and Jackdaws were feeding in the flooded field alongside the track.

Flood alongside the feeding station track

Jays were very noisy and I had at least two. Well I say at least two because I saw one flying north towards the Scots Pine copse and Jay(s) were calling noisily from Curlew Wood. Heading north along the '97' hedge a number of Skylarks were heading over in a more or less southwesterly direction and in the end I counted 19. Swallows and House Martins were constantly arriving, feeding and then departing south as I headed up onto the top fields.

I had 67 Snipe flying south very high in five groups and when I headed towards the wildbird seed mix I flushed 35 Goldfinch and 66 Linnets. On the edge of this area in some tall vegetation I had three Whinchats which was nice.

 Whinchat

It was now time to turn back. I went back along the '97' hedge and all I could add was a single Chiffchaff and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

No comments: