Wednesday 8 December 2010

Still Cold, But At Least It Ain't Foggy!

Driving to work this morning it was even colder than yesterday and a cool minus 8.5 was showing on my car thermometer. It is forecast for the temperature to pick up, but only until Sunday, and then it is going cold again all next week!

As I do every other day, I went to Rawcliffe Moss to feed the Tree Sparrows this morning, and it was quite pleasant in the sun. As can be seen from the two pictures below it was nice and clear.



At the feeding station were 7 Yellowhammers, 109 Tree Sparrows and 26 Chaffinch. I had a walk up to the top field to have a look at the wild bird seed crop and there were 180 Chaffinch and 7 Reed Buntings feeding in there. I couldn't pick up any Bramblings, but that's not to say there weren't any.

Surrounding the wild bird seed plot on three sides are stubble fields and in these I had a total of 345 Skylarks, which I think is the highest number I have recorded for the site. A few Pink-footed Geese were moving around this morning and a Great Spotted Woodpecker called from Curlew Wood.

I haven't shown any pictures from my good mate Nigel from Canada for a while so please see below pictures of Barred Owl, Black-capped Chickadee and Blue Jay.




No comments: