Monday 3 January 2011

Birding Bedlam

My first birding outing of 2011 was yesterday (2nd) to Rossall Point. I had just got my self settled counting the waders on the shore when the tosser below came walking along the beach with his dog. This idiot systematically walks his pooch along the beach every day irrespective of whether he is disturbing roosting waders or not! Anyway, after he had gone, after some 'dirty' looks from me I could get back to my birding.



I was busy sea-watching when a very pleasant elderly gentleman with bins and a scope asked me if I was anything to do with the Fylde Bird Club guided walk that was meeting at 9.30 a.m. I informed him that I wasn't and thought to myself that it was going to be a nightmare birding at the Point this morning. As it turned out it was a guided walk lead by a Wyre Borough Council Ranger, but still a group of noisy novices to be avoided! Joking apart, it is good that people show an interest to ensure that the conservation message is secured into the future, and it is good that there are people out there prepared to show potential new birders the ropes.

Back to the birding. The visibility was superb this morning and Walney Island and the neighbouring town of Barrow was clearly visible. In fact you could read the time on the Barrow Town Hall clock and through the wind farm you could make out the 'hump' of Snaefell on the Isle of Man!

There were a number of waders roosting on the shore including a group 11 exquisite Grey Plovers. They were accompanied by 24 Ringed Plovers, 78 Turnstones, 3 Redshanks, 2 Sanderlings and 520 Oystercatchers.

 Grey Plover

As the visibility was so good the views of some of the birds out on the sea were excellent and there were quite a few Red-throated Divers moving this morning. It was difficult to get an accurate count of how many individuals were involved as birds were moving both east 'in to' the bay and west 'out of' the Bay.It is safe to say that I had 23 'sightings' some were very close in and giving stonking views.

The 'pin sharp' light meant that counting Eiders floating in on the incoimg tide was easier and I had 165 along with 38 Red-breasted Mergansers. I also had 3 Great Crested Grebes, 68 Common Scoters, 4 Auk sp. and 2 Harbour Porpoises.

Driving out of the car park three 'noisy' birders were heading on to the point and it was time to try and find some peace and quiet!

2 comments:

AFTERMATH said...

Nice shots. I have dogs. I do not take my dogs to the beach. I have an issue with introducing my canines and all the organisms that live on them into that environment. I know that the beaches are already covered with oil, trash, and other pollutants, but I don't feel that I should add to it with the introduction of another species (horses included). I especially am peaved when people, "tossers," (I love that word) take their dogs to the beach but do not retain them on a lead. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for other people's children and other people's pets. When will people figure out that few of us find them as cute as they do? Don't let your children pee in my pool and I won't pee in yours. Don't let your dog crap on my beach and I won't...........well, perhaps I would. Ha ha!

The Hairy Birder said...

Hello Robin,

I quite agree with you. It's not the dogs, it's the people that take them onto the beach. There are some responsible dog ownesr at Rossall Point who I get on well with and they take an interest when they see me out birding. But they keep their dogs on a lead and don't allow them onto the beach.

Nice to hear from you and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Seumus