Sunday 6 February 2011

Fair Weather Birder?

I don't consider myself a fair weather birder as I will go out in any weather if I think it will be worthwhile and this weekend was one of those when I felt that it wouldn't be. It has rained virtually all day yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday), so there hasn't been any birding for me this weekend.

Yesterday I went to the timber merchants and bought some timber to build some nest boxes and then I went to feed at my feeding station afterwards; so it was still productive. Last night I went to see folk-rock legends Fairport Convention and today I pulled together the ringing totals for our group for the year so far. We have processed the following new birds (recaptures in brackets):

Coot 4 (11), Great Spotted Woodpecker 1, Dunnock 3 (1), Robin 7 (4), Blackbird 33 (7), Fieldfare 1, Goldcrest 1, Long-tailed Tit 1, Coal Tit 4 (1), Blue Tit 8 (3), Great Tit 8 (5), Treecreeper 2 (1), Jackdaw (1), Starling 3 (1), House Sparrow 1, Tree Sparrow 3, Chaffinch 61 (13), Brambling 19 (1), Goldfinch 8, Siskin 53 (6), Yellowhammer 2 and Reed Bunting 1. This is a total of 224 new birds and 55 recaptures. Not a bad start to the year!

4 comments:

Peter Fearon said...

Are you a fan of Nick Drake by any chance? I think he was awesome and as far as I am aware, was originally on the same label as Fairport back in the 70's.

Black-eyed Dog....what a tune!

The Hairy Birder said...

It's years since I heard any Nick Drake, once borrowed an album off a mate, and I can't remember what it was called! You have given me a timely reminder Peter to have a listen again! I think both Nick and Fairport were on Island records. His early death was such a tragic loss. So, to answer your question I am a fan in waiting!

Anonymous said...

Great blog mate,look forward to following it.

The Hairy Birder said...

Thanks. Cheers, Seumus