Thursday 8 December 2011

Horizontal Birding

I wanted to go seawatching this morning with the 30 mph southwesterlies we have at the minute but I have several reports to write and my Tree Sparrows needed feeding so it was the feeding station that I headed to. Walking down the track to the feeding station my posture was almost horizontal due to the strength of the wind and consequently it was difficult to do any birding.

Tree Sparrow numbers reached a seasonal high this morning as I counted 228 accompanied by about 30 Chaffinch, only 6 Blackbirds and a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew from the feeding station to Curlew Wood as I got close. The only other bird I had was a single Buzzard.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

I daren't look at the weather forecast anymore for the coming week because it is so depressing. Well, I did just have a look and it is going to remain windy, not always gale force, but too windy for any ringing for the foreseeable future i.e. all next week! Mind you within our ringing group our mantra is always 'there's time for it to change'!

1 comment:

Captain Shagrat said...

Goodlooking little guys those woodpeckers... Just down the road from you in Blackburn and its pretty darn windy here too. Hope my allotment greenhouse is still intact