Tuesday 1 May 2012

Leftovers

Yesterday was probably one of the best, if not the best, day of the Spring so far. However, I was working and therefore couldn't get out to the coast to enjoy it. I was land-locked carrying out a breeding wader survey, but I shouldn't complain as there are worse ways to earn a crust on a Monday morning! Today was earmarked as an office day for me and I decided to spend a couple of hours birding at the 'obs' before a day of report writing.

At 5.30 a.m. I had full cloud cover with a moderate northeasterly wind as I set off on my walk. Immediately I had a singing Willow Warbler and in total I had three by the end of my session. Other grounded birds included 2 male Whinchats and 23 Wheatears.

 Willow Warbler

Swallows were the most numerous species moving this morning and I had 487 in total battling their way north. There was quite a good 'vis' passage this morning and in addition to the Swallows I had Woodpigeon, 2 Tree Pipits, 9 Lesser Redpolls, 11 Meadow Pipits, 20 Linnets, 9 Siskins, 19 White Wagtails, 25 House Martins and 104 Goldfinch.

The sea was relatively quiet with just 18 Whimbrel, 2 Shelducks, 14 Sandwich Terns, male Eider, 2 Gannets, 3 Cormorants, 20 Common Scoters and a Razorbill. A telephone conversation with Ian at the Point during the morning informed me that I had missed Marsh Harrier and Osprey!

I am out working in the field tomorrow, but hopefully I might be able to get out ringing Thursday morning with a little more birding on Friday. As always I'll keep you posted.

No comments: