Friday 14 September 2012

Leach's For Breakfast

I knew the conditions had the potential of producing a Leach's Petrel or two this morning, but I didn't have a great deal of time available to spend seawatching. I just had about an hour and a half spare this morning from first light so I headed to my reserve seawatching location of the sea front at Cleveleys.

My usual sheltered spot wasn't so sheltered in the 30 mph WNW wind so I was buffeted around a bit as I scanned the sea. First up was a Bonxie, close in, along the surf and not long afterwards a lone Leach's Petrel battled it's way southward. My time ran out as I had another Bonxie yet again giving stonking views as it flew south along the beach.

The wind is easing over night, but not enough to be able to go out ringing tomorrow unfortunately, and not remaining strong enough for more Leach's. It's one of those in between winds that is neither use nor ornament to the birder!

No comments: