Saturday 15 September 2012

Neither Here Nor There

As predicted yesterday the wind caused it to be one of those in between mornings. The wind wasn't strong enough for a decent sea watch (too much north in the west as well) and it was a little too strong for any migration. although there was a smattering of grounded migrants and some 'thin' vis.

I headed for the obs and changed my routine slightly and went straight to my seawatching/vis observation point. As mentioned earlier the sea was 'dead' other than a handful of Common Scoters, Cormorants and the odd Auk sp.

Along the sea wall were three Wheatears and a Goldcrest! That's right a Goldcrest perched on the sea wall. As I walked up to the front I heard a Goldcrest calling from the herb garden and whilst looking at the sea I kept hearing one call and couldn't see it, until it popped up on to the wall!

Walking back through the coastal fields and hedges I had a calling Willow Warbler and the light vis consisted of 11 Meadow Pipits, an Alba Wagtail, four Grey Wagtails and six Goldfinch. I had two Sparrowhawks near the copse and an adult Med. Gull was in the front field with 45 Black-headed Gulls.

As there were a few grounded migrants around I decided to have a look in the cemetery and it was more Goldcrests totalling four individuals. There was some light vis that included ten Greenfinch and single Grey Wagtail.

There's some heavy rain coming in tomorrow, but the timing of it will dictate what happens bird wise. I'll keep you posted.

Herring Gull in the cemetery

Grey Dagger moth caterpillar, taken in my garden last week

No comments: