Thursday 14 February 2013

Up The Wenning

I was working along the River Wenning today and on my way there I called in at my feeding station to do a seed drop in readiness for a planned ringing session tomorrow morning. Birds were just starting to arrive at the feeding station so were limited to a Song Thrush, 66 Tree Sparrows and ten Chaffinches. A lot of rain had fallen over night and the adjacent fields were very wet and held 21 Lapwings, but little else.

Up the Wenning I didn't see a great deal but there were some more signs of Spring in the form of three male Lapwings on some maize stubble and four displaying Oystercatchers alongside the river. Other birds included five Fieldfares, a Siskin, a Dipper and a singing Mistle Thrush.

Snowdrops were out in profusion in the woodland on the opposite side of the river and I had a further taste of Spring this evening when I noticed a Frog on my back doorstep, presumably on its way to next door's pond.

Below are some pictures of the views from my office today as well as the aforementioned Frog.

A rather full looking River Wenning

 Some Snowdrops that have pushed through the deposited river silt

 Another view from the office

 This evening's visitor

No comments: