Tuesday 23 April 2013

Blackwits

The only birding I had time for today was a quick look on the marsh after visiting one of my farmer clients. Even though the sun was shining the WSW wind blowing across the marsh was very cold.

Feeding in the shallow water of the pool and out on the grazing marsh was a nice flock of 112 Black-tailed Godwits. I tried to get a few shots of an individual feeding in the pool and every time I pressed the shutter I got a shot of it with it's head under the water, except for one!. See below.



There were plenty of Lapwings out on the grazing marsh with several females very obviously on eggs. Wildfowl included two pairs of Shovelers, 30 Shelducks, six Wigeon, two pairs of Gadwalls and two pairs of Teal.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Good to here the Lapwings are successfully breeding :-)

The Hairy Birder said...

I put this site in to Higher Level Stewardship and as part of this a special project was developed to erect an electric predator fence all round the marsh. The result is that Foxes can't now get on to the marsh and this has had a positive effect on wader productivity.