Friday 4 April 2014

Keep Going Back

I always find that if you have the time, and particularly at coastal sites in the spring, keep going back to have a look as new birds are always dropping in even on a slow morning like today. I was at the cemetery at first light and it was gloomy; full cloud cover with a quite a mist and a light southeasterly breeze.

My walk round yielded little other than a Redwing heading northeast and three Siskins. I then moved on to the coastal park and expected a Chiffchaff at least but I had no migrants other than a Sand Martin zipping through.

I then went back to the cemetery and the mist had thickened to become a light drizzle and straight away two Fieldfares dropped in and I had a grounded Redwing too. Walking the same circuit as earlier I added three Chiffchaffs to the morning's total but that was it migrant-wise, but it had certainly been worth going back.

 Chiffchaff

The forecast for tomorrow is a bit mixed with southeasterlies and some rain coming in during the morning. The timing of the rain is going to be crucial and I'll certainly be getting up to have a look. 

No comments: