Saturday 5 July 2014

The rain auditions at my window..........

..........is the opening line to a classic Marillion song called 'The Web', and that is exactly what the rain was doing at my window until it stopped at about 5.15 a.m. and I got up and went birding. High tide was at about 4.30 a.m. so I decided to head to the coast to have a look on the sea. You won't believe this but in the 20-25 mph northwesterly wind that was blowing at this time I had my hat and gloves on, yes wearing hat and gloves on 5th July! Well as I am fond of saying "it is autumn now after all"!

In fact I wished I'd stayed in bed and listened to some Marillion as it was really quiet on the sea but you have to go out because time out = birds in! Birds moving on or above the sea included 129 Common Scoters, three Sandwich Terns, two Arctic Terns, five Cormorants, a single Gannet and an Atlantic Grey Seal.

Waders were few and far between with just six Oystercatchers, two Ringed Plovers, five Turnstones and two Curlews. Best of the rest were a couple of Swifts and that was it. After nearly two hours I couldn't handle all the excitement any longer and headed home. Hopefully I'll have better news from tomorrow's ringing session and from my moth trap. Fingers crossed!

No comments: