Thursday 13 November 2014

One Or Two Bits And Pieces

I couldn't describe the week so far as 'full on' from a birding perspective but I have had one or two bits and pieces. I was driving back from site visits on Monday when Ian phoned me to say that there was an adult Greenland White-fronted Goose amongst the Pink-feet. I knew where the Pink-feet were feeding and as I was close to home I decided to go and have a look.

After a few minutes I found the 'White-front' amongst the c. 2,000 Pink-feet. It was feeding at times and then it would lie down and feed whilst down on its belly. I only had bins with me but it was easy to pick out and I couldn't see anything else amongst the Pinkies. I've attached a shot of both the White-front and Pinkies below, but I must point out that the White-front shot was taken through my car windscreen on full zoom.

 Greenland White-fronted Goose

Pink-footed Geese

Yesterday I called at my feeding station and Tree Sparrows numbered 95 with a supporting cast of three Yellowhammers and 14 Chaffinches. On my way home I looked on the flood and there were still two Green Sandpipers with at least 40 Pied Wagtails and a number of Meadow Pipits.

The forecast is looking okay for ringing at weekend, so fingers crossed that it remains so and I can get a first session in at the feeding station.

No comments: