Monday 9 February 2015

The Usual Feeding Station Fayre

I had a break from report writing this morning to carry out a feed at my feeding station. Under full cloud cover with a 15 mph northwesterly wind I headed down the track loaded with apples, peanuts and seed. At the feeding station were 17 Chaffinches, 44 Tree Sparrows and four Yellowhammers.

Walking back along the track I had 400 Pink-footed Geese go over and two Buzzards were around the woodland. I decided to go and have a look on the stubble field and on my way there I flushed two Grey Partridges from the hedge bottom. In the woodland alongside the stubble's a male Tawny Owl called, and on the stubble's were nine Blackbirds, 23 Fieldfares, 80 Starlings, 15 Corn Buntings and 13 Redwings.

The forecast is looking quite good for ringing over the next couple of days, but I have some site visits to complete, so I might just try and sneak out birding for a couple of hours tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

15 Corn Buntings - brilliant :-)

The Hairy Birder said...

I don't know how long it will last though Warren as the numbers aren't anywhere near what they used to be.