Monday 30 November 2015

Trying Conditions

I don't think I need to tell you how awful the weather has been of late with gale or near gale force west - northwesterlies and driving rain! As a consequence I haven't been out birding properly for a week and I salute those that are braver than I and have managed to get out.

I have been going to my two feeding stations every couple of days but the weather has been so terrible during each of my feeding visits that I haven't really anything to report other than they are both wet! There's Chaffinches and Goldfinches coming to my feeders at the water treatment woks and Tree Sparrows, Yellowhammers and Chaffinches at my farmland bird feeding station, but beyond that I can't say anymore!

I was hoping for some wildfowl on some friends of ours wetland when we called yesterday for a lovely lunch but when we went to have a look at the wetland it was bird less. Mind you the wind was 50 mph southwesterly with squally showers so I imagine everything was sitting tight. It's a good job that Robert and Diana fed Gail and I some lovely food washed down with some excellent vino to take away the pain of  a lack of birds!

I have come across an excellent blog, well I think it's excellent and so do a lot of other people, called Not Quite Scilly and it can be found HERE There's some good tales of birding 'derring-do' and a mix of thought provoking posts such as the latest one titled 'Suppression? Good Idea!'. I'll leave you with that one!

No comments: