Thursday 17 December 2015

Time Out

I took some time out from writing a report regarding a site in north Devon of all places to meet Ian on the coast at the Obs to discuss some future ringing projects. I had a look at the Geese on the way there and on the way back and there was about 600 Pink-footed Geese and all I could see amongst them was a juvenile 'Greenland' White-fronted Goose and a single Greylag.

The local authority have recently drained the marine lake and today they were filling it up. The shallow water had attracted a Little Egret in to feed along with five Red-breasted Mergansers that were feeding fanatically alongside the Egret. There were good numbers of Turnstones, about 250, along with three Purple Sandpipers and a Grey Wagtail.

 Little Egret

Purple Sand and Turnstones

Some of the 250 Turnstones

Feeding Red-breasted Mergansers

I wish some of the bird photographers would take time out from chasing the Short-eared Owls around. Today a female photographer (not that their sex matters) in a bright blue coat was relentlessly chasing a  'Shortie' with her big lens. In fact for most of the time she was trespassing, but that doesn't seem to matter to these folk. No bins with her and zero field craft! I wouldn't mind betting she probably didn't even know what she was photographing, that is the level of expertise of some of these so called bird photographers these days.

At one point the Shortie dropped into the grass and caught a small mammal. What did this idiot do? Back off and let the Shortie feed would be what any normal person would do, but no she had to keep getting closer and closer until the Shortie flew off without its meal! I give up!!!

The forecast is looking a bit grim for the foreseeable, isn't it always at the moment, so I'm not sure what the next few days will bring. I need to get to the feeding station tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if I can relocate the Firecrest. I'll let you know.

No comments: