Saturday 12 March 2016

A few More Thrushes Perhaps

One of the beauties of working a local patch, I've started a blog posting with that before, is that you can tell if there has been an increase in numbers of a certain species or group of species. You wouldn't be able to test it statistically but you do get a good gut feeling and this morning was one of those mornings.

I headed out at first light at the Obs, just before the rain came in, and it was already overcast and murky with a light southeasterly wind. If it had been April I would have been getting really excited but as it is mid-March I had to keep my excitement realistic and in check!

The first bird I had was an agitated calling Chaffinch from atop one of the trees in the copse, interesting I thought! I put three Song Thrushes up from the hedge and ditch and also eleven Blackbirds! I hadn't walked very far so I thought it could be good this morning, but then the rain arrived and it seemed to put a brake on things.

Surprisingly even though it was drizzly and murky there was some light vis in the form of a Grey Wagtail, four Alba Wags, two Siskins, four Meadow Pipits and two Chaffinches.

And that was very much it. It started off with some potential and then fizzled out! The forecast is looking okay for the first ringing session of the spring at the Obs so it will be interesting to see what that brings.

No comments: