Saturday 23 April 2016

A Few For My Patchwork Challenge

I actually had a lie in until 5:45 a.m. this morning, so that was a bit of luxury, which meant I wasn't at the Obs until 6:15! It was a cold morning with clear skies and a 10 mph northeasterly wind.

For the first hour or so the only summer migrant I had encountered was a singing Lesser Whitethroat, but that changed when I added Tree Pipit, Swallow, Whimbrel, Sandwich Tern, House Martin, Whitethroat, Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler!

There was some vis this morning and I had 22 Linnets, nine Meadow Pipits, eleven Goldfinches, a Tree Pipit, two Alba Wags, twelve Lesser Redpolls, 16 Siskins, six Swallows and a House Martin.

 Meadow Pipit

A brief look on the sea produced two Great Crested Grebes, three male Eiders, seven Whimbrels north and 37 Sandwich Terns. Although not on or over the sea, a Little Egret fed briefly in a tidal pool on the beach until flushed by a....., you've guessed it,......a dog walker!

Little Egret

I had a look on the pools and this is where I had three singing Sedge Warblers and one each of singing Cetti's and Reed Warbler. The area surrounding the pools was infested with dog walkers and I was glad to get away!

There's some rain about tomorrow morning and if I have one less beer tonight and set my alarm a little earlier I might get an hour or so before it rains. It's still going to be cold and northerly though! 

No comments: