Sunday 10 April 2016

A Touch Of Frost

It wasn't just a touch of frost this morning, there was snow, fog and glorious sunshine too. When I left the house at 4:30 am to head to north Cumbria to do a bird survey I was surprised to see that my car was covered in heavy frost. As I drove through the Lune gorge on the M6 the Howgills were covered in snow and between Shap and Penrith it was foggy! Thankfully at my destination near Dalston, Carlisle it was a beautiful sunny day!

I won't bore you with all the details of my survey but I did have two Buzzards, four Chiffchaffs, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, three Yellowhammers, male Peregrine, six Stock Doves and a singing Blackcap. Some of the woodland was carpeted with Primrose which made a great spectacle.

 Stock Dove

It's just as early a start for me again tomorrow, but this time the destination is near Wigton. 

No comments: