Friday 29 April 2016

Wintry Warblers

I had an hour to spare yesterday morning and fancied stretching my legs so I went to one of the quieter parts of the Obs recording area to have a look for warblers. It was still bitterly cold even though the wind was southwesterly.

 One of the quieter areas of the Obs

To cut a long story short I did have a few warblers in the form of three Blackcaps, four Chiffchaffs, eleven Willow Warblers, three Sedge Warblers, six Whitethroats and a Lesser Whitethroat. Pleased with that I didn't really have anything else of note other than 15 House Martins, five Swallows and a Whimbrel at the pool. I did have a female Northern Wheatear that rang a few alarm bells for a while, but it was just a female Northern Wheatear!


Sadly the wind has gone northerly again and is forecast to remain so overnight, but there is some high pressure building from the Azores later tomorrow and the wind is going southerly so perhaps there might be a few arrivals on Sunday!

No comments: