Thursday 5 May 2016

Chim-Wheats

Yesterday started with an early morning bird survey on a site in south Cumbria. Even though it has started to warm up this week it was still cold and hat and gloves were still required! Nothing overly exciting during my survey, but it's as always just a pleasure to be out and record three Blackcaps, two Sedge Warblers, a Willow Warbler, a Grasshopper Warbler, two Siskins and a Tree Sparrow.

 The view from the office today

After a bacon and sausage muffin washed down with a gallon of Costa coffee I was on my way back to the Obs and was recording in the cemetery by 0845. As soon as I got out of my car it was obvious that there were a few migrants about and I had a Chiffchaff, six Willow Warblers, twelve Siskins, two Lesser Redpolls, two Wheatears and a Blackcap.

A number of large gardens back on to the cemetery and they are good for holding migrants. The two Wheatears were perched on the chimneys of one particular house; migration in action!

 Wheatear

I moved on to a couple more sites within the Obs recording area and to my tally I added a Buzzard, two Whitethroats, five Sedge Warblers, six Blackcaps, two Willow Warblers, a Lesser Redpoll, a Coal Tit, a Great Spotted Woodpecker and three Chiffchaffs.

A number of insects were on the wing including Peacock butterflies, Small Tortoiseshells, Speckled Woods and Buff and Red-tailed Bumblebees. It was also nice to see Red Campion, Scarlet Pimpernel, Field Forget-me-not, Lesser Celandine and Common Field Speedwell flowering.

 Peacock

 Small Tortoiseshell

I've got a site visit in east Lancs tomorrow, but I will try my best to get out at some point, but if not it will have to be weekend.

No comments: