Tuesday 10 January 2017

Little Gulls

I headed to the Point this morning at first light for, as it turned out, a short sea watch as I got rained off. Prior to the rain front coming in I had full cloud cover with a 25 mph westerly wind. Shortly after arriving I was joined by Ian.

It didn't seem overly windy and it hadn't been that windy overnight, but there was certainly some Little Gulls moving out of the Bay and in total we had 32. They were mainly all adults with just a few second calendar year birds mixed in. Other than the Little Gulls we just had three Eiders and seven Red-breasted Mergansers.

In front of our sea watching position a few waders roosted on the beach including 78 Oystercatchers, 141 Sanderlings, 29 Ringed Plovers and 27 Turnstones.

It's going to be a lot more windier tomorrow with perhaps a hint of northerly in the westerly, which isn't good, but I'll give it another go and see what I get.

No comments: